40 Days of Pumpkin Recipes

We will try everything from pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin scones to pumpkin soup and pumpkin lasagna. Have a great recipe? Send it to me so I can try it out!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 18 Reduced Fat Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake


Oh what a day! I had such plans; and actually I did get quite a lot done. But one of my main plans was to make this pumpkin cheesecake for my FPU class tonight. I know, I know - if you were there, you are thinking, "pumpkin cheesecake sounds a lot better than what you brought!" Long story short, once my girls were "napping" I realized I was out of pumpkin puree. I couldn't go to the store since the girls were in bed so I borrowed my daughter pumpkin patch pumpkin to make more puree. I ended up starting the cheesecake too late and it wasn't ready to bring to FPU tonight (sorry everyone).

Here is a hint as you are cooking your cheesecake. The time says 35-45 minutes. It actually took me almost 50 minutes. When the cheesecake doesn't jiggle it just about done. Use a toothpick to check.

Oh, and by the way, this cheesecake is not very thick. If you are looking for a thick recipe you could always double the recipe but you will have to increase the cooking time up to 55-65 minutes.

Ingredients:
2 (8 ounce) packages low fat cream cheese, softened


1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pinch ground cloves
1 pinch ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger

1 pack graham crackers (one package inside a box)- will make 1 1/2 cup crumbs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2.Put graham crackers in a large ziplock bag and crush with rolling pin until fine.
3.Add sugar and cinnamon to bag. Zip and shake to combine.


4. Add melted butter to the bag and stir up with spoon.
5. Press crumb mixture into bottom of spring form pan reserving 1/3 cup for topping.

6. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Blend in eggs one at a time. Remove 1 cup of batter and spread into bottom of crust; set aside.



7. Add pumpkin, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg to the remaining batter and stir gently until well blended. Carefully spread over the batter in the crust.



8.Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until center is almost set. Allow to cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.

This cheesecake is delicious and it is low fat except for the crust. If you want to lower the fat you can use half the amount of crust or even none at all. But I highly recommend keeping the crust and just eating a smaller piece ;)




Adapted from the following recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Double-Layer-Pumpkin-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment