40 Days of Pumpkin Recipes

We will try everything from pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin scones to pumpkin soup and pumpkin lasagna. Have a great recipe? Send it to me so I can try it out!

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Day 4 - Pumpkin Scones with Brown Sugar Maple Glaze


When I was in high school I worked at a local coffee shop. We had daily deliveries of DELICIOUS pumpkin muffins. The best part of the muffin was the AMAZING sauce/glaze/gooo that was poured on top. When all the muffins were gone, my co-workers and I would take the pan in back and clean it with a spoon. Needless to say I was very well caffeinated and sugared for the day when I worked those weekend morning shifts. I am feeling pretty similar today because I tried my hardest to recreate that gooo for the scones I made today. I would love to get my hands on that recipe but I did my best to recreate it. My recreating required a lot of taste testing. Good thing I am training for a half marathon and had to run 8 miles this morning! I also took a simple scone recipe and modified it into a pumpkin scone recipe.

I have to admit, this is the first time I have baked scones. I don't normally enjoy scones because they are usually quite dry. But I found out recently that scones are intended to be smothered with other things like lemon curd, jam, devonshire cream and in this case brown sugar maple glaze! Of course those other additions would also taste nice on these scones, especially the cream and lemon curd. (I love lemon curd on almost anything!)

Note: I do recommend using a food processor for this recipe. It makes it very easy and I am not sure how you would blend in the frozen butter without it.

Pumpkin Scones with Brown Sugar Maple Glaze

Scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen and cut into pieces
1/2 cup your choice: golden raisins, dried cranberries, butterscotch or white chocolate chips
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 large egg

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.In a food processor, mix dry ingredients and butter. Process a few times until well blended.

3.Add wet ingredients and pulse until well blended.
4.Add raisins or any other fruits or chips you like, just pulse it a couple of times to mix. The batter will not be smooth. It will be crumbly and sticky.
5.Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into an 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8 triangles; place about 1 inch apart on a Pampered Chef Large Round Stone. If you do not have one, you can use a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and pour glaze evenly over the top. Glaze recipe below.

Brown Sugar Maple Glaze
1 Cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 Tablespoons shortening
2 Tablespoons pumpkin puree
2 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1-2 teaspoons water

Combine all ingredients in microwave safe bowl. (I use the Pampered Chef small batter bowl.) Stir until smooth. Consistency should be a thick glaze. Microwave 45 seconds or until glaze is melted and bubbling. Stir. Glaze should not be gritty from sugar, if it is, return to microwave in 10 second increments. Cool 1-2 minutes before pouring over scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment