40 Days of Pumpkin Recipes

We will try everything from pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin scones to pumpkin soup and pumpkin lasagna. Have a great recipe? Send it to me so I can try it out!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Day 6 Pumpkin Butter



I have to admit, I was saving this recipe for a day I didn't have time to make a pumpkin recipe. I actually made this about a week ago before I started this blog. The funny thin is - I have made two pumpkin recipes today! Pumpkin Ice Cream and Sweet and Sour Sauteed Pumpkin. Well, my ice cream maker is not being very cooperative and the sweet and sour pumpkin is not quite done. And, since I am stuck on the couch with a fussy baby (who was woken up by her daddy's excitment with the Giant's win), I thought I would go ahead and post the pumpkin butter recipe.

I love pumpkin butter. Trader Joe's has it this time of year but I had never thought of making it myself. It is similar to apple butter but obviously made with pumpkin instead. It is not fattening as it sounds with the word butter in it. It can be used as a spread on toast or bagels or even for an ice cream topping.

If I make this recipe again, I think I will try using canned pumpkin instead of the fresh puree. I think it would have a nicer texture. This recipe is from Gina's Skinny Recipes

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/10/pumpkin-butter.html

Pumpkin Butter
Gina's Skinny Recipes
Servings: 14 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Points: 1.5 pts
Calories: 88.2 • Fat: 0.3 g • Protein: 1.0 g • Carb: 27.3 g • Fiber: 2.5 g

3 1/2 cups pumpkin puree, or 1 (29 ounce) can (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup apple cider or juice
1 cup packed brown sugar
2-3 cinnamon sticks
1-2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
Combine pureed pumpkin, vanilla, apple juice, spices, cinnamon sticks and sugar in a large saucepan; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 - 40 minutes or until thickened. Stir frequently. Adjust spices to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment