40 Days of Pumpkin Recipes

We will try everything from pumpkin ice cream and pumpkin scones to pumpkin soup and pumpkin lasagna. Have a great recipe? Send it to me so I can try it out!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Day 9 - Reduced Fat Pumpkin Ribbon Cake


OH MY GOSH!! I can't believe how good this turned out. I am so excited!! In Los Gatos there is a bakery called Icing on the Cake. It is my FAVORITE bakery. We have gotten our birthday cakes there for years and they even made our delicious and beautiful wedding cake! In the fall, they have an amazing cake called Pumpkin Ribbon Cake. We served it at Willow Street, the restaurant I worked at for many, many, many years. Normally only about 15-20% of my tables would order dessert, but when we had pumpkin ribbon cake, I would say at least 50% of my tables would order it. Probably because I told them they had to! Basically it is pumpkin cake with a layer of cheesecake in the middle and cream cheese frosting.
I don't live there any more, it is October and I am having withdrawals from Pumpkin Ribbon Cake! So of course I tried to recreate it. And since I am baking so much I have a really hard time adding all the butter, etc that most recipes call for. The nice thing about pumpkin cake is applesauce doesn't alter the flavor like it does in say, brownies. I would never recommend completely replacing butter or oil with applesauce. It is not worth it to ruin the flavor and texture. But taking out half of the butter and replacing it with applesauce does work. And you can even take out some of the sugar since applesauce is naturally sweet. Some of the other things I did to lower the fat and calories were to use 1/3 less fat cream cheese. I always use this, to me there is no difference in flavor. I also used egg substitute. So here is the recipe. It is really good. It is definitely not exactly the same as Icing On the Cake but it is very good. ENJOY! You are not going to believe it is reduced fat!! Oh and p.s, if you are one of my weird friends who is disappointed that this is reduced fat, all you need to do is replace the applesauce with butter and full fat ingredients for the low fat ones - and wala - a nice fattening dessert that you can feel happily guilty about later.

Cake
2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 + 1/8 c butter
1/4 + 1/8 c applesauce
1/2 c egg substitute
1 egg
3/4 cups pumpkin puree
1/2 cup nonfat milk
1 tsp vanilla

Filling

1 pkg (8 oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg

Frosting
1 pkg (8 oz) 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 cup Powdered sugar


OR if you want it to be even less fat, leave off the frosting and dust with powdered sugar.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking dish or if using a stone you do not need to spray. I used Pampered Chef's 11 inch Deep Dish Baker

Combine flour, baking powder, spices, baking soda and salt in small bowl. In large bowl beat sugar, applesauce and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, egg substitute, pumpkin,milk and vanilla. Beat well. Slowly add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture just until moistened. Set aside.

Filling- Whisk cream cheese, egg and sugar until well blended.

Smooth 2-1/2 cups cake batter on bottom of pan. Spoon cream cheese mixture over cake batter using a large spreader. Pour remaining batter over top and spread evenly.

Bake 45-50 minutes. Cake tester will come out clean. Allow to cool completely on cooling rack.

Make frosting. Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Slowly add sugar until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment